
These are baby House Wrens. There's 7 of them and they are about 1" in size. Their parent(s) destroyed 3 Chickadee eggs in one of my nesting tubes then tossed them out on the ground. The Chickadees moved on and the House Wrens have taken over every nesting box/tube in the yard. I believe they're the reason I have no Bluebirds this year. Once they're gone I'm taking down all the nesting boxes/tubes.
I have really grown to hate these little beasts. They're mean and nasty and they sing all day long. It's not a pretty sound, either. I had thought about destroying the eggs before they hatched but couldn't do it. I wish I had now. The last thing I want around here is more House Wrens.
The last 3 weeks most of the desired birds that were here last summer and early in May have moved to greener pastures because of the dozen or so Grackles that come all day long to the feeders. They have taken over the backyard...I hate them, too. They will eat a suet cake in one day and chase all the other birds away. I almost never see anything but Grackles and House Wrens. I've tried to shoot the Grackles with an old BB gun of Dan's but it doesn't have enough power to penetrate.
And to top it off, I have House Sparrows now. I can't remember ever seeing them here before.
Time to get a pellet gun with some power.
No comments:
Post a Comment